Friday, February 13, 2009

So I finally went through with the stone extraction and "shockwave" to the big kidney stone. I am on my way to recovery. The operation was on Wednesday, two days ago, and I have been taking it easy since. I was surprised at how soar my throat would be, of all things, as they had a breathing tube stuck down my throat throughout. Fortunately, I was already out by the time they inserted it, so I didn't feel or remember a thing until I came out into the recovery room and wondered if they had taken my tonsils out while they were at it. This is what they did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_shock_wave_lithotripsy.
It was pretty scary, but I am glad I went through with it, as for the last couple of days I have been spewing out little bits of gravel that once were the offending stone and I know it won't be bothering me anymore. Once this ordeal is behind me I can continue with our next IVF cycle. We are hoping to start up my meds this month so that we can stimulate and extract sometime in late March. I guess even if it works out, it will be too late for an '09 baby, but better late than never, and it is still a big "if."
To be honest, I am not looking forward to another cycle, especially after the heartbreak, expense, and complications during the last one. I just really, really want a baby in my arms. If I have to go through with this in order to get closer, then I will, but I just wonder if I am not just delaying the inevitable adoption question. I hate to be so negative, but I guess it is easier than getting too optimistic and then let down. On the positive side, I know that eventually, I will have my baby, and then I will look back and wonder what all of the fuss was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment