Sunday, March 29, 2009

Waiting, and waiting

I am currently a nervous wreck as we wait for another 5 days to hear if our embryo transfer was a success. This past Friday we were able to transfer 2 embryos, which is 2 more than on the last round of IVF. Getting to that point, however, does not guarantee that they will safely implant and make it to babyhood. So we wait, and wait, and wait, until we either get a positive or negative pregnancy test on Friday. It is just very strange to leave the doctor's office told that you are carrying 2 embryos, 2 living creatures, but don't get too excited or your hopes up that in 7 days you will actually be "pregnant." I mean, if you have 2 embryos inside of you aren't you at that point, officially "pregnant." I tried to resist the temptation to name them, but I couldn't help it: Tweedlie Dum and Tweedlie Dee. Those are names I can't really get too attached to, right?
In the meantime, we keep, (I say we, but really, who are we kidding) getting shots in the ass every night to support the pregnancy. I'd like to imagine that it hurts Fritz as much as it hurts me to have to give me the shots, but honestly, I doubt it. I think he actually likes it a little bit. He says as much, as if he were kidding, but I don't think he is. In the end, if we end up with a baby, it will all be worth it. If not, well, I will have a polka-dotted rear for a few more months.
We went to yet another baby shower yesterday, for my friend Cindy, who I went to junior high with. I was a little bitter over the last few showers, but now I am at a point where I can really enjoy them and they mostly give me a sense of hope. I know we will get there, it's just a matter of when. It was actually fun, with all of the oohing and ahhing over the cute, frilly little girl things. I thought Fritz was going to explode, but I think he actually enjoyed it a little. He even made himself useful by helping get some of the lemons out of the tree, way up on top, where the little brown people couldn't reach. Horray for big white guys with long arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment